I-696 Detroit Metro Traffic Hell: Reduced Lanes and Closures
Following the news we shared a couple of days ago about the possibility of Square Lake Road ramps to I-75 going away... Now, there's another major project getting underway in Metro Detroit.
Rebuilding I-696 In Metro Detroit
As part of the Rebuilding Michigan initiative, I-696 is essentially being torn down and completely rebuilt over the next two years. Here's the MDOT timeline of 2023 events that will impact commute times:
- Friday 02/24 8pm through Monday 02/27 at 5am Westbound I-696 from I-257 to US-24 (Telegraph Road) will close to prepare for traffic shifting.
- Friday 02/24 8pm Orchard Lake Road ramp to WB I-696 will close through fall 2023.
- Monday 02/27 that same area will only have two lanes open through fall 2023.
- Friday 03/10 through late fall, Eastbound I-696 from I-275 to US-24 (Telegraph Road) will have two lanes open on the Westbound side of the expressway.
During 2023 I-696 (eastbound only) will be rebuilt from I-275 to Evergreen Road.
All of Oakland County's 2023 Road Projects
When will the Westbound side of I-696 be rebuilt?
MDOT states the Westbound lanes will be reconstructed in 2024. All of those details can be found here. There a helpful Traffic Map on that link, in case you cannot avoid the construction project.
What's included in the rebuild of I-696?
$275 million will be spent on this project. That includes:
- rebuilding the entire roadway from the base up.
- storm and sewer replacement work
- rebuilding ramps at:
- Orchard Lake Road
- American Drive
- Franklin Road
- M-10 (Northwestern Hwy)
- US-24 (Telegraph Road)
The project will provide about 3,500 construction jobs. That doesn't make the traffic nightmare any easier to swallow, though.