Dejah Reed took part in a popular stunt called the cinnamon challenge three times with no consequences. The fourth time didn't go so well. Now she's speaking out.

The cinnamon challenge is all over Youtube. The wildly popular stunt encourages young people to eat a spoon full of cinnamon in 60 seconds without water. It burns, and the end result is a lot of gagging, choking, coughing and maybe some laughter. That's the best case scenario. The worst case scenario can include a collapsed lung and a frantic trip to the local emergency room.

Such was  the case for Dejah Reed, a 16 year-old from Ypsilanti, MI. She had taken part in the cinnamon challenge before without incident. The fourth try left her unable to breathe. A friend called Dejah's dad who rushed her to the emergency room in Ann Arbor, where doctors treated her for a collapsed lung.

Dejah is okay today, but the experience has inspired her to reach out to other young people through a "Just Say No" website and Facebook page warning of the dangers of the cinnamon challenge.


As an adult, have you heard of the cinnamon challenge? What would you tell a young person about the dangers of this seemingly harmless stunt?

More From Cars 108