It was a heartbreaking scene as a local family of six was found dead in their Fenton Township home this afternoon. It appears that they all died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell says that they were asked to make a well visit since the last time anyone in the family had heard from them was around 9:30 Friday night.

The power was out because of high winds, and the family was using a generator inside the home. The couple and their four kids, ranging in age from two to 11-years-old, were found in several different rooms of the house.

This is a tragic reminder to keep generators outside and away from open doors and windows. Make sure you not only have functioning smoke detectors, but carbon monoxide detectors as well. Carbon monoxide isn't just dangerous, it is deadly.

Sadly, six lives have been lost because of this silent killer. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of the victims. Heartbreaking. Truly heartbreaking.

More From Cars 108