10 Popular Flint Area Restaurants Are Operating 30 Ghost Kitchens
If you've recently used a food delivery app like Uber Eats, Door Dash or Grub Hub, you've probably noticed a lot of restaurants around the Flint area that seem mysterious. Names and pictures that sound and look decent, but no brick & mortar stores. Those... are ghost kitchens.
What is a ghost kitchen?
- Many of the "ghost kitchens" around Genesee County are virtual restaurants--they don't have a physical presence... only a digital menu. The food is cooked by whichever brick & mortar restaurant created the virtual off-shoot.
- Other ghost kitchens are popular restaurants that only do delivery or pick-up. An independent operator will open a massive kitchen. Then, cook food for popular chains. (Chick-Fil-A, while coming to Flint soon, does this in some markets.)
- It's worth noting, if one "virtual" name doesn't work... they can shut it down and start another without much effort. (I'm still processing if that's deceitful?)
Which well-known Genesee County restaurants have ghost kitchens?
These are popular places, but you'd have no idea they're operating numerous "restaurants" from their main kitchen.
- Buffalo Wild Wings (Flint, Grand Blanc, Fenton) has two ghost kitchens:
- Bird Dawgs
- Wild Burger
- Hooter's on Miller Road, Flint has four ghost kitchens:
- Hootie's Burger Bar
- Hootie's Bait and Tackle
- Hootie's Chicken Tenders
- Chase Elliott's Chicken Tenders
- Pita Way (Grand Blanc, Davison, Fenton, Lapeer) has one (if they have more, I haven't found it yet).
- Great Lakes Shawarma Company
- Outback Steakhouse on Miller Road Flint has one:
- Tender Shack -- specializing in chicken and fries. (Sometimes these are operated by Outback's sister brand, Carrabba's, too.)
- Chili's on Miller Road in Flint has one:
- It's Just Wings
- Applebee's (numerous locations in Genesee County) operates one:
- Cosmic Wings
6 Flint Businesses We Miss
- Famous Dave's Miller Road Flint has two:
- $5 Burgers
- Fame Grilled Cheese
7 More Popular Flint Businesses We Miss
- IHOP Miller Road Flint has two:
- Super Mega Dilla (serves American & Mexican inspired food)
- Thrilled Cheese (Grilled cheesy stuff)
- Leo's Coney Island (several locations around Genesee County). The 4151 Miller Road location has multiple ghost kitchens -- many show "closed" in the Door Dash app. 12 virtual breakfast-themed names seems like an example of trying to find a name that works?
- House of Parm (pastas & Italian flavors)
- Supreme Breakfast Sammies
- B-Town Breakfast Sandwiches
- Sully's Breakfast Sandwiches
- Sunrise Breakfast Sandwiches
- Neighborhood Cafe
- Breakfast in Bed
- Breakfast Spot
- Baker Boy's Breakfast Sandwiches
- Egghead Breakfast Burritos
- Burro's Breakfast Burritos
- Sunday Best Breakfast Sandwiches
- Croissant Club
- Logan's Roadhouse Miller Road Flint has three:
- Ember Smoked BBQ
- Twisted Tenders
- Leo's Italian Kitchen
Here's 6 More Flint Spots We Miss
Why are ghost kitchens so popular?
- During the height of the pandemic, it was an extra way to make money and keep businesses afloat. Now, everyone is getting into it. WingStop has "ThighStop." Denny's has Burger Den and Melt Down. According to CNBC Wendy's and Kroger are jumping in, soon.
If you ever get the desire to "sit down" at one of your go-to app restaurants, just remember, it only exists virtually.
These places do not have ghost kitchens around Mid-Michigan:
20+ Good Eats: Genesee County, MI Restaurant Bucket List
10+ Good Eats: Lapeer County, MI Dining Bucket List
Delicious Dining: Saginaw County's 11 Must-Try Popular Eateries
10 Hidden Gem Tuscola County Michigan Restaurants To Try Now
13 Michigan Restaurants Featured On TV's 'Man vs Food'
Fan Favorites: 16 Flint Area Spots With The Best Ranch Dressing
Best Liver and Onions Restaurants in Greater Flint, MI Area