YMCA Starts School Year Day Camp To Support Virtual Students
With most schools opting for virtual learning to start the school year, the YMCA is stepping in to help with a School Day Camp at Camp Copneconic.
I don't know any parent that has a firm handle on what this school year will be like for their kids. I know that my wife and I are still struggling to figure everything out, and our district is one of the few still offering some sort of face to face! Working parents are faced with the tough decision of leaving their kids home to learn online.
This is a tough pill to swallow for many parents. Depending on the kids age, attention span, internet connection, and about a billion other factors there are so many things that could be problematic.
YMCA announced a way to help out at the start of the year at least. The School Year Day Camp at Copneconic will offer a supervised environment for kids to learn virtually. Plus the kids will be able to do some of the fun activities that Camp Copneconic is known for. The YMCA Executive Director, Brandon Dreffs talked about why the camp was created.
We knew that there was a need for help with kids and their educational needs and so we can help the families in that sense. We're very lucky enough we've got lots of space. We've got a lot of buildings that are large open spaces so we can make sure that the kids are spread out and then they have WiFi so they're able to work on their school work while they're there
Here is the basic outline from the School Year Day Camp registration page.
- School Year Day Camp will run from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday-Friday
- Extended Care options will be available for 7:00-8:00 AM and 5:00-6:00 PM
- Campers will receive a light breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack
- Our staff will support your students’ virtual learning endeavors
- We will include age-appropriate camp activities each day
- Campers will be kept in small groups, will wear masks, and practice social distancing.
HOW WE’LL SUPPORT YOUR STUDENTS
- Each student will submit information about the requirements for their virtual or remote schooling curriculum.
- The School Year Day Camp schedule is designed to be flexible so that we can adjust schedules to ensure every child can meet the requirements of their schoolwork
- YMCA Staff will assist with technical troubleshooting and problem solving for students’ classwork
- Students will be required to provide their own devices for virtual classwork, as well as necessary schoolwork materials (pens/pencils/etc)
- Serving school-aged children grades K-8
- Registration will open the week of August 17th, on a first-come, first-served basis
- Families will register for 4 weeks at a time
- School Year Day Camp costs $250/week
- Additional Children receive a $15/week discount
- Financial Assistance applications are available here.