Time Capsule: This Detroit Home Once Belonged to the London Chop House Owner
Stepping into this historic Detroit home is like stepping back in time. Built in the 1920s, this quaint two-story home was once owned by London Chop House Owner Sam Gruber.
SEE ALSO: Inside Uncle Kracker's Michigan Home - It Has a Pub, Tunnels, + More
Who is Samuel Gruber?
Sam Gruber, along with his brother Lester, was famous in Michigan for opening the London Chop House in 1938.
According to the restaurant's website, London Chop House became a 'magnet for business executives, celebs passing through Detroit, and power elites of all stripes.' The restaurant became well-known for its menu which included perfectly prepared freshwater fish straight from Michigan's lakes and rivers.
The Gruber brothers were reputed as experts in the art of feeding the male ego. Guests who made reservations found reservation signs on their tables as well as books of matches and a card with a coin - to reimburse them for the phone call made to make the reservation.
The Rise and Fall of London Chop House
Throughout the 50s, 60s, and 70s, London Chop House was ranked as one of the top restaurants in the United States.
Although it had been one of Detroit's premiere restaurants, its doors were closed in 1991. It reopened in 2011 under new ownership. Today, the restaurant remains open in its original location at 155 Congress St. in Detroit.
The Sam Gruber Home
Imagine it's the 1920s. The home, located at 1941 Balmoral Dr. in Detroit, would have been a showplace in its day.
It features seven bedrooms and seven bathrooms, with a total of 21 rooms.
It certainly needs some TLC. But this historic home features plenty of details steeped in history like hand-plastered crown molding, custom Spanish-style tile work, arched ceilings, custom built-ins, and plastered medallions, according to the listing.