Sleeping Bear Dunes Open Trails This Weekend
As we head into Memorial Day Weekend, some trails have reopened in Michigan.
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore has announced that trails will be open starting today. As Sleeping Bear is in one of the regions that are opening up this weekend, many have been wondering if that included things at the dunes since they have been closed. Much to their excitement, hikers and families will be able to get back into nature for the holiday weekend.
Access will once again be open to the following areas at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore:
- Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail
- All parks trails and trailheads
- Picnic areas
- Boat launches
- Dune climb
- and vault toilets
As a bonus, other features and options are available and park fees are waived. Lakeshore lands and waters are available, including beaches, and beach fires are allowed again as well.
Even though the trails are once again open, other areas are not. Facilities that remain closed include:
- Empire's Philip A. Hart Visitor Center
- All campgrounds along with camping
- Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive
- All museums and indoor exhibits
- and full-service restrooms
If you plan on visiting, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore asks that you do and consider the following:
- Park only in designated areas
- Dispose of trash and be sure to take everything with you that you brought
- Try to plan visits earlier or later in the day
- Maintain social distancing with other people in the park
- Avoid high-risk activities
We all know it is exciting to head back out to some normalcy. Just be safe out there.