Secretary of State Branches to Reopen by Appointment Next Week
Michigan Secretary of State branch offices are set to reopen. Branches will reopen staring June 1st by appointment only for essential transactions not available online.
In a statement on their website, Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson said,“While the offices were closed to the public, we conducted more than 3,000 emergency appointments for essential workers and planned and implemented protocols so that we could reopen in a way that ensures the safety of employees and all Michiganders. Customers can be confident they’ll be able to conduct their business with us safely and efficiently.”
Starting June 1st, all 131 branch offices in Michigan will be open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for appointment-only services for transactions that include:
- Driver licenses and state ID transactions that must be done in person
- Title transfers
- Operator, CDL, chauffeur, mechanic and motorcycle testing
- Seasonal commercial vehicle renewal
As part of reopening the office, precautions to assure safety will be put in place. Safety protocol including wearing masks, standing six feet apart, using desk shields, and continuously disinfecting shared or common surfaces will al be implemented. Each brand will be keeping their doors locked and will have a greeter that will let customers with appointments in at their scheduled times.
Those with appointments will have guidelines to follow that include:
- Arriving at the appointment alone
- Wearing a mask or homemade face covering over their mouth and nose
- Waiting in their vehicle or outside prior to the appointment time and maintaining six feet of distance when announcing themselves and their appointment to staff at the doors
- Following directions on where to stand during the transaction — only stepping forward toward the clerk when providing or retrieving documents
- Cancelling their appointment if they develop symptoms of COVID-19 or come into contact with someone who has COVID-19 within 14 days of the appointment
- Adhering to CDC guidelines when in public
For scheduling your appointment,
To schedule an appointment visit Michigan.gov/SOS or call 888-SOS-MICH.