Here is What is Open This Weekend at Sleeping Bear Dunes
With more and more people heading up north on the weekend, here are a few things to keep in mind if you're heading to Sleeping Bear.
Last year I had the chance to spend a few days at Sleeping Bear and the Empire area in Michigan. It is definitely a beautiful place to visit and can do wonders for your mind, body, and soul. If you are looking to get away for a few days to recharge, I definitely recommend Sleeping Bear.
As of this weekend, they will be opening up a route that, so far, has been closed all summer. Starting on Saturday, July 11th, Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive will be open to the public on weekends. This 7.4-mile drive is one of the top attractions at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
With that said, here is what is currently open fully, partially open, and closed at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore:
- Philip A. Hart Visitor Center lobby and restrooms open 9 am until 4 pm daily
- All campgrounds and camping open from 9 am until 9 pm daily
- Parks and trailheads
- Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail
- Beaches, lakes, and rivers
- Picnic areas
- Parking areas
- Boat launches
- Dune climb
- Vault toilets and full-service restrooms
- Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive
- Glen Haven museums
- Maritime Museum boathouse
- Maritime Museum keeper's quarters
- South Manitou Island museums and lighthouse
- Ferry service to the Manitou Islands
Whether you decide to stay home or venture out, just be sure to take some time to get some fresh air this weekend. It is so important and worth it just to take a couple of minutes to relax in times like these.