Clio Middle School Student Hospitalized After Eating Pot Candy
One student was hospitalized; another became ill after eating THC-infused candy on Tuesday.
Apparently, the students knew that the candy was pot candy, but they didn't know who made them. One was taken to the emergency room by their parents; another fell ill later in the day.
Clio Carter Middle School Principal posted the following message to the school's Facebook page:
Dear CMS Parent or Guardian:
After the school day ended yesterday, parents took a student to the emergency room after consuming hard rock candy infused with tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Today, another student became ill after consuming this substance. Cannabis infused foods are often referred to as edibles. This THC induced candy looks exactly like the traditional candy that is often made during the holiday season (bright colors and powdered sugar coated). From my investigation, students who have consumed the edible believe it was cannabis infused. However, students had no idea who made the edible or if it contained any other drugs. The Clio Police are currently testing for the exact contents of the substance, and are conducting a full investigation.
The safety and security of our students is our top priority. I am asking all parents to talk to their children about the extreme dangers of consuming/ingesting these type of substances. They could be laced with other types of toxic substances. It is illegal and against Board policy for students to possess and/or distribute any type of cannabis product. Students choosing to engage in unlawful behaviors are subject to disciplinary consequences that can include suspension and expulsion from the school district. As always feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Neil V. Bedell
Clio George Carter Middle School Principal