Yes, there is temporary housing for the fur babies, too.

The flooding in Midland County continues to be more devastating as the days go by. It's been called a 500-year flooding event (meaning there was less than a 1% chance of this happening); residents are saying that it was worth than the 11,000 people were evacuated and, luckily, there were no fatalities.

If you're like me, you've probably gone over a scenario in your head where the same thing happens to YOU...and what YOU would do. How would you evacuate? Would you wait, or go right away? Where would you evacuate to? What would you take with you?

Being a fur parent, I already knew that I would scoop up my dog, two cats, and the bird and make a run for it.

Many of the 11,000 who evacuated near the breached dams in Midland County had pets that needed rescuing, too. As I read the stories about the shelters set up yesterday, I couldn't help but wonder about peoples' pets.

Saginaw County Animal Control is offering up temporary housing to displaced pets during the flooding - it's called the Visiting Pets Emergency Evacuation Program.

If you or somebody you know has a pet that needs temporary housing, you can call SCAC at (989) 385-0230. Staff from SCAC will meet people who need housing for their pets by appointment at 1312 Gratiot Avenue, Saginaw, MI 48602.

Big, BIG thank you to animal control for taking this on. They already have their hands full; this is a wonderful thing to do.

Cars 108 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app


Check out these 50 fascinating facts about dogs:

More From Cars 108