If your car gets damaged from a pothole, you might be able to get reimbursed.

While Michigan winters can be beautiful, the toll they take on the state is pretty serious. The one thing that Michiganders can expect throughout the winter is the inevitable emergence of potholes. Potholes are quite possibly the most annoying thing that the state battles each year.

Cars 108 logo
Get our free mobile app

What creates a pothole?

During the winter season in Michigan, snow and ice melt is the main culprit of the creation of potholes. As water seeps into the roadways and freezes, the expansion of the water is what caused the pavement to break and leave potholes.

SEE ALSO: Driving With Snow and Ice on Your Windshield - Is it Legal in MI? 

It has happened to all of us. We are driving along a stretch of road that we travel every day and then from out of nowhere a great beast of a pothole appears that wasn't there the previous day. With little time to react and avoid it safely, many of us just knuckle up, hit it, spill our coffee, and let out a string of obscenities.

Can I get reimbursed if my car is damaged by a pothole?

Hitting a pothole at 45 to 55 mph or more can really hurt your vehicle. Rim damage, popped tires, and more can occur when hitting those little craters of chaos. You may ask, will the state reimburse me for the damage? The short answer is yes, but don't get your hopes up.

According to MDOT...

Be advised that the majority of damage claims are denied under governmental immunity laws, MCL 691.1402 and MCL 691.1403.

If you file a claim under $1,000, the incident will be investigated by the Michigan Department of Transportation. However, that process usually takes at least 90 days. Even if you think you can win the claim, it seems like it will be a lot of grief to green to get that money. Also, keep in mind that claims can only be submitted if they occurred on a state trunkline (M, I, or US route.) Local and county roads don't count.

If the damage is really bad, over $1,000, good luck Jack! At that point, you have to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit against MDOT. Again, good luck with that!

How do I file a claim?

To file a claim of $1,000 or more, you have to fill out a form, sign it, get it notarized, provide supporting documentation, and return it to the MDOT region office in the county the incident happened. Click here for more details.

To report a pothole, see pothole tips, or get more information, click here. 

Source: MDOT

12 Tips to Prepare Your Vehicle for a Michigan Winter

Michigan winters are brutal and are truly not for the weak. However, the smartest can also survive and thrive with these twelve tips to help be prepared for anything the winter winds gust your way.

20 Signs That Winter Will Suck in Michigan

Winters in Michigan can be unpredictable, but there are signs all around us that can give us a hint about how bad it will be. Check out the 20 signs that winter in Michigan is going to suck.

14 Things to Do on a Road Trip from Paradise to Hell in Michigan

If you're going to take a road trip, why not make it a trip to Hell from Paradise. When you make that trip in Michigan, here are 14 things to do along the way. 

More From Cars 108