Grand Hotel Set to Unveil Newley Renovated Historic Pool
A sure sign of spring, and the approaching summer, is when the horses return to Mackinac Island for the season. After what has felt like the longest year in the world, people are anxious to get back to some Michigan summer fun, and that includes trips to the Grand Hotel.
Well the horses are back, and Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is looking forward to welcoming guests back starting in May. This year they are excited to unveil some of their biggest renovations. Spending $10 million over the past 8 month, the hotel is ready to shine.
One of the most anticipated debuts is the work done to the historic Esther Williams Swimming Pool. The pool, which was named after the actress and competitive swimmer, opened in the 1920's. It was also used in the filming of the 1947 movie, This Time for Keeps which starred Williams.
Although renovations have been done the iconic pool over the years, this time it was taken to a whole new stunning level. According to a press release the new design will now offer;
- Expanded outdoor space for leisure and meeting guests.
- Reservable cabanas for a luxurious poolside experience that includes food and beverage service from the Esther Williams Pool Bar.
- A new family-friendly area complete with a zero-depth beach entry, water jet play area, and water slide.
- A new large heated whirlpool, and private adults-only pool area featuring an infinity edge with magnificent views.
- Unique programming and events throughout the season, such as family-friendly movie nights.
Aside from the most notable new look of the pool, guests will also find most roomsnew fixtures in the bathrooms, with enhanced shower and bath design to improve the experience. There has also been some additions in the lower level shops with upgrades. The jewelry store has been turned into a Grand Kids children's shop that sells gifts to filled with souvenirs for remembering great family vacations.
"It is a breathtaking change," Doug Dean, executive vice president, operations at the Grand Hotel, told the Free Press. "I've marveled at the work that's taken place. We had a pretty ambitious plan."
Reservations are filling up fast for the season, so if you plan to check out the new and improved Grand Hotel you'll want to book soon.
40 Michigan Towns With Names Even Life-Long Michiganders Can't Pronounce