Open Letter: Dear Olga’s Kitchen, We Crave You In Genesee County
Lunch or dinner around Metro Detroit offers several more options than Genesee County, based on the size of our communities, in general. While visiting friends, I was reminded of how great the menu is for Olga's Kitchen.
What is Olga's Kitchen in Michigan?
- Olga's is a Greek-American restaurant founded in Metro Detroit (Birmingham to be exact) in the 1970s. Everything is homemade and delicious. They're known, according to me, for incredibly soft and tasty bread. You can eat it by itself or use it for gyros, wraps, etc. If you like shawarma, you can't go wrong. They have zucchini fries my friends love, but that's the only thing I don't like.
Get our free mobile app
Where are all of the Olga's locations in Michigan and the United States?
- They're mostly focused on Southeast Michigan including Ann Arbor all the way up to Auburn Hills. There's one location in each of East Lansing, Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids. At one point, the Michigan-based chain was in 11 states. They have "right-sized" their footprint to endure economic pressures and their founder's passing a few years ago.
Tasty Timeline: See When Popular Flint & Michigan Made Foods Were Launched Read More: Tasty Timeline: See When Popular Michigan Made Foods Launched
What is the Olga's Kitchen menu like?
- The Original Olga is a beef & lamb wrap (like a gyro) in their famous bread. That's the famous item. The even to Philly Cheese & Steak, a Peasant Soup (with beef and lamb), Honey Bourbon Chicken Salad, a full kid's menu and seasoned curly fries unlike anything you've had before.
- The "Take n Bake" kits are cool, but they don't taste exactly like the food you get in store, in my opinion.
Will Genesee County ever get an Olga's Kitchen?
- There isn't any information pointing to new locations opening, anywhere soon, on their website. That said, I'm begging the company to open a location in Genesee County... Please? I don't want to spend $20 on gas to get "the bread." We have plenty of prime real estate on Miller Road in Flint Township or even in Grand Blanc. We're ready to indulge when you are.
These Michigan Restaurants Have All Sadly Closed Since Appearing on National TV
You'd think an appearance on a national TV show like Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives or Restaurant: Impossible would guarantee success for a restaurant.
That hasn't been the case for these six restaurants, all of which have closed after being featured on national television.
14 Foods That Michiganders Love
There are some foods that are just Pure Michigan. Here are 14 treats that Michiganders can't get enough of.