Mt. Morris, Grand Blanc Fire Departments Warn About Distracted Driving
Make whatever excuse you want, but it's true - those cones could've been people.
On Friday, January 26th, the City of Mt. Morris Fire Department posted the above photos to their Facebook page. Firefighters were responding to a gas leak in the 12000 block of North Saginaw. They had secured a safe space with lighted cones to keep people safe in the case of an explosion.
Not long after they had placed the cones out, a distracted driver ran over two of the cones.
The driver never even stopped to see what he/she had hit.
And then, last Friday, Grand Blanc Fire Chief Bob Burdette's vehicle was hit by a distracted driver while responding to an accident scene. His emergency lights were on; the chief was fine and the other driver was transported to a local hospital.
Remember back in the old days, when drivers would swerve all over the road, and we'd assume that they were drunk? It's probably safe to assume now, in 2018, that they're on the phones. PUT THE PHONE IN THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT WHILE YOU DRIVE SO YOU'RE NOT TEMPTED. Hook your phone up to your Bluetooth if you have it so you don't have to fumble around with it. It's not safe. Period.