Taste of Home Sneak Peek — A Spicy Recipe You Can Fix and Enjoy Now
The Cars 108 Taste of Home Cooking School is set for May 8th - but we thought maybe you'd like a little sneak peek! Here's something you can fix and enjoy right now. And since the show is just three days after Cinco De Mayo, we thought something that's a little spicy might be in order!
Grab your tickets to the 2014 Cars 108 Taste of Home Cooking School here!
Mexican Chicken Soup With Jalapeno Dumplings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion and chili powder in remaining oil until onion is tender. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, corn and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in reserved chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cilantro and cumin. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts plus 12 dumplings).
Note: Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1-1/2 cups soup with 2 dumplings equals 321 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 992 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 26 g protein.Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Mexican Chicken Soup with Cilantro Dumplings in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012, p33