Parents, Doctors Warn About the Danger of ‘Hot Water’ Challenge [VIDEO]
A mom in Indianapolis is warning other parents about a new internet challenge called the 'Hot Water Challenge.' Her son, Kyland Clark spent a week in the hospital after his friend poured boiling water on him.
The challenge involves either drinking boiling water through a straw or pouring it on another. Clark tells Fox 59 that he and his friend watched videos of the challenge online, then decided to prank each other. His friend poured the water on him while he slept.
"And then I looked down at my chest. My skin just fell off my chest, and then I looked in the mirror and I had skin falling off here and, on my face.”
Clark suffered second-degree burns on his back, chest, and face.
"To see my baby, all burned up like that, it was heartbreaking,” his mother Andrea said.
Dr. Ed Bartkus, who treated Clark, says the practice could cause permanent disfigurement or burns to the airway that could cause death.
An 8-year-old in Florida died recently after attempting the challenge.