Michigan Young Adults Worry About Losing Jobs to China
Young people in Michigan blame cheap wages abroad, high taxes, and excessive regulations in the US for loss of jobs to China, according to a poll by Generation Opportunity.
The Michigan-specific survey of young adults ages 18-29 found that “73% of Millennials in Michigan are concerned that so many American jobs are going to foreign competitors like China.” 67% indicated that lowering taxes should be the first step toward keeping jobs in the US.
When asked why they thought American jobs are going to foreign countries like China, 18-29 year old respondents in Michigan gave the following reasons:
- 79% – Cheaper wages overseas;
- 41% – High taxes on businesses in the US;
- 31% – Too much regulation on businesses in the US;
- 26% – Lack of opportunities to start and grow businesses in the US;
- 1% – I do not think US jobs are going overseas;
- 5% – Do not know/cannot judge
Do you agree? Share your thoughts in the comments section.