Contact Us

Michigan Has Discovered Over 3,500 Lottery Winners Who Also Collect Welfare

woman with lottery tickets
Kevork Djansezian, Getty Images

The headline wasn’t specific to Michigan, but I was  curious as to what state would let lottery winners also collect welfare benefits so I read the story. You guessed it…that state is our very own Michigan.

Michigan’s Department of Human Resources announced on Monday that it had discovered 3,544 lottery winners who were receiving public assistance or living with someone who was in 2012. Only 16%, or 565 of those lottery winners can be removed from public assistance. The other 84% will continue to receive state aid because of “loopholes” and “glitches” in the rules for cutting off assistance and state funded medical care.

Maura Corrigan, DHS Director is recommending that Michigan lawmakers look into adopting a law that is similiar to one in New York in which the state can “intercept” lottery winnings from people also collecting state aid to repay taxpayers.

Let the comments fly! Should lottery winners continue to be eligible for welfare, food assistance and Medicaid? Should the decision to cut a person off depend on how much they win? Should lottery winnings be intercepted to repay the state?

More from Cars 108

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://wcrz.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on Cars 108 quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Please solve this simple math problem to prove that you are a real person.

Register on Cars 108 quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!