Contact Us

MDOT Outlines How to File a Claim for Cars Damaged by Potholes


“So you’re saying there’s a chance?” The Michigan Department of Transportation has outlined how to file claims for cars damaged by potholes.

MDOT has explained the process for motorist to file claims if their car has been damaged by a pothole. The catch? Certain conditions apply.

First, the pothole must be located on a state road. Those with a M, I or US prefix before it like M-1, I-75 or US-131. MDOT only has jurisdiction over those roads.

Second, to prove a highway defect claim, state law requires motorists to show that the road agency failed to maintain the highway in reasonable repair. What that means is the motorist must be able to prove that MDOT knew of the road condition and had opportunity to repair it or that the condition existed more than 30 days.

Now this is where it gets confusing. MDOT says claims for less than $1,000 must be submitted to their regional office or transportation service center that covers the county where the incident occurred. If the claim is more than $1,000, it must be filed with the Michigan Court of Claims. So basically, MDOT is saying there is only a one-in-three chance you’ll be filing the claim directly with them. Huh?

Which brings us back to “so you say there’s a chance.” If your car has been damaged by a pothole, there is a chance that you can get reimbursed for the repairs. However slim that may be! But if you want to try despite all the conditions, a claim form, instructions and local offices can be found here:

Best of Cars 108

Recommended for You

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to using your original account information.

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Not a member? Sign up here

Please solve this simple math problem to prove that you are a real person.

Sign up for Passenger Rewards quickly by connecting your Facebook account. It's just as secure and no password to remember!

Sign up to have exclusive Passenger Rewards contests, events, coupons, presales, and much more delivered to you for FREE.